[sldev] Web on a prim

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Mon Mar 10 13:32:37 PDT 2008

>> The new media on a parcel feature allows landowners to select and
>> display a wide range of Web-based media content, including Web pages,
>> movies, images, text documents and audio. This change replaces and
>> expands the existing QuickTime parcel media feature, giving you more
>> flexibility in your media presentations. Currently, the displayed
>> media is entirely non-interactive, meaning you will only be able to
>> view and not be able to click web links, use scroll bars, or press
>> buttons on web pages displayed on parcels, although we hope to add
>> this functionality in the future.

A future direction for web-on-a-prim might be to allow  notecards and
images to be displayed as "local host" the same way we (at least I) have
talked about letting SVG local host refer to notecards and images.

If "if local host" is evoked, then there would be a limit on recursion
and html would be displayed from the item's inventory. This might or
might not help allow non-parcel control of html-on-a-prim, but it would
certainly allow folks who don't have specific webpages set up to use
this facility.

Still hoping for SVG-on-a-prim in the long run, though.

Lawson