[sldev] GTK 2.8

Alissa Sabre alissa_sabre at yahoo.co.jp
Tue Mar 11 04:26:21 PDT 2008

> > if it is the traditional xterm behaviour
> > in early 1990s days,

> Yes, its been a feature of X11 since at least the early 90s, and is
> still supported by modern toolkits. Probably goes back farther.

> Personally, I *never* use copy-paste if I don't have to, I always use
> selection. The fact that SL doesn't support it is quite irritating.

I have no opinion on your private preferences, but

> Thus, it
> must be implemented if SL is to ever truly fit in with other X11
> applications.

I don't think so.

Today, there are many application programs on Linux that does not
support the feature you want.  It is probably because the feature is X
Window specific and people wants similar UI experiences on different
platforms or because majority of people just don't like it.  (I'm not
sure...)

Also, the current SL program structure is not suitable to implement
the feature, because the event handling codes are primarily common to
all platforms, but the feature should be only for X11, otherwise most
Windows/Macintosh users, including myself, will complain the feature.

If you write a patch to implement it, however, I don't object to
integrating it to the viewer code.

    Alissa Sabre