[sldev] Linux 64 bit framerate stutter (0.5 - 2.0 second frame periodically [every 5 to 60 seconds])

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 09:16:26 PDT 2008

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
>> BTW using a local cacheing DNS improves this problem by a factor of 10,
>> i now get 1 second stutters that i hardly notice instead of 10 second.
>
> That sounds like it's in a call to gethostbyname() somewhere. That's a
> notorious blocking call with a lot of internal complexity.
>
> The fix would be to replace gethostbyname(), or at least grab the source
> and insert callbacks inside it. The most portable thing would be to use
> a separate name server process and isolate the whole lookup.

Looking at the calls libcurl calls getaddrinfo() in libc so we may have
to do what you said and split it to a seperate process. apparently there
is a getaddrinfo_a() in glibc? but in these cases we need a *eek* custom
libcurl.

But looking at this now i have to wonder just how many stutters are
being caused by this DNS lookup.

Robin