[Solution] Re: [sldev] Linux 64 bit framerate stutter (0.5 - 2.0 second frame periodically [every 5 to 60 seconds])

Bane Darrow banedarrow at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 00:33:14 PDT 2008

I've further investigated this and now have it solved. It's actually not
quite all there is to it.

The first step is indeed to compile in libcares support. That gets me
non-blocking DNS queries, but researching further, there are other
conditions that libcurl will operate in a blocking mode.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man3/libcurl-multi.3.html

That page at the end explains it well.

libcurl can be compiled with various options, and I was compiling without
cares and with gnutls. Reading this thread made me find the cares issue, so
I compiled libcurl with that. But the final blocking was the gnutls support.
Removing that to use OpenSSL cleared up my stutters.

For gentoo developers doing the standalone build, make sure youre USE flags
(at least for curl) are +ares, +ssl, and -gnutls.

Thanks for the help.