[sldev] Re: [Opensim-dev] Violating the GPL by looking (Re: Voice Module)

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 13:25:45 PDT 2008

On 2008-03-19, at 14:38, Paul Oppenheim (Poppy Linden) wrote:
> I'm curious - how did the Linux binary compatibility layer get
> added to FreeBSD?

Linux is a bit of a special case.

A lot of it could be implemented based on documentation, without
looking at the Linux kernel.

But in addition Linus Torvalds has pretty consistently taken a
position of detente, for example he and other Linux developers have
made attempts to draw a line between even kernel interfaces that can
only be used by GPL components and those that do not require the GPL.
Without this kind of thing binary-only drivers would not be possible,
and this line (fuzzy as it has been at times) has been maintained
even when people have used this as a "cut-out" for components that
have not traditionally been considered drivers.

So there's a history of people working on Linux and implementing what
could by the FSF interpretation be seen as "derived works" of Linux
without having to make them GPL.

Linden Labs has not taken the same position. In previous discussions
here I've seen what seems to me to be a reluctance to risk any kind
of "cut-out" becoming possible. I understand that position: Linden
Labs is not in the same kind of situation as Linux. But it does mean
that this is not a really good analogy.

There might be better examples in /usr/src/contrib, though these are
userland components.