[sldev] LLMozLib2 is now exclusively in the public SVN repository

Kent Quirk (Q Linden) q at lindenlab.com
Thu Mar 20 10:42:28 PDT 2008

SVN has atomic checkins, which means that each checkin is uniquely
identified by a checkin number, thus greatly reducing the need for
tagging as compared to CVS. (It's one of the two or three reasons that
make SVN so much better than CVS that there's not much excuse to
continue to use CVS).

SVN provides:

* Atomic checkins
* Tracking of (some) metadata like filename and directory, so you can
move files around and preserve the history
* Repository-wide revision numbers
* Cheap branching (a tag in SVN is just a branch)

There's a nice page here on Subversion for CVS users:

	http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/apa.html

With all that said, though, it's still lacking a true tracking of
metadata about merges, it doesn't support distributed revision
control, and because of those, merges get bad as teams get big. It's
fantastic for projects where no more than a few people are working on
any given part of the code. When you violate that assumption, it gets
problematic.