[sldev] Open Source Meeting call for items - Thursday 2pm

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Thu Mar 27 20:03:43 PDT 2008

Mark Lentczner wrote:
> I love the OLPC and have one for a personal development project. But
> the OLPC is tremendously low power, and I'm pretty certain doesn't
> have the compute or graphics power to run Second Life or Croquet.
>
> The preferred programming language for the OLPC is actually Python,
> though you are right that Squeak comes installed and is another
> option, though doesn't integrate with the UI quite as well.
>
> Re-implementing even a stripped down Second Life client in Smalltalk
> or Python would be cool, but no small feat.
>
>     - Zero (an old Smalltalk hacker from way back)

I wouldn't say I'm reimplementing the client in Python per se, but Group
IM, at least, should be quite doable in any language once I get the
blasted thing documented properly, and inventory management would come
almost for free with group IM.

THAT part of the client doesn't require hardware acceleration or large
gobs of memory or disk space. One "rez avatar" is factored out from
group IM, there's even less to worry about, though I wonder: should
inventory be part of rez avatar, or should it be considered separate? I
can see a lightweight client that would be used to transfer inventory
without being associated with any given simulator (or grid).

Lawson