[sldev] Your Feedback Wanted on Search Flagging !

Jeska Dzwigalski jeska at lindenlab.com
Fri May 2 10:35:26 PDT 2008

Hello!

You've been asking us to do better with inappropriate content and
content classification and we've been listening. In an effort to make
our abuse reporting system easier to access and more effective, we are
planning to introduce a flagging system for our search results - and
we'd love to get your feedback.

The new flagging system will help Residents to flag inappropriate
postings for rapid removal, while preserving everyone's ability to
express themselves freely in world.

*How it will work*

    * First, when you post a classified, group, event or parcel listing,
      you will have to self-declare if your content is mature or not.
    * Second, every listing will have a "Flag This" link. You can use
      this to report inappropriate or mis-classified content or nominate
      great content for the showcase.

*Flag Categories*

    * Mature - /the listing is adult only content/
    * Prohibited - /the listing contains content that is prohibited on SL/
    * Spam - /irrelevant listings (examples: commercial posts in
      non-commercial venues, event postings for non-events)/
    * Showcase - /nominate something for possible inclusion in the
      Second Life Showcase/ (http://secondlife.com/showcase)//

/[All listings will still have to follow the Community Standards
<http://secondlife.com/corporate/cs.php> and Terms of Service
<http://secondlife.com/corporate/tos.php>.]/

*Types of listings that can be flagged*

    * Parcel listings
    * Classifieds
    * Events
    * You will not be able to flag avatar or group profiles

*What happens when something is flagged*

    * Every flag counts as one vote for that flag category. While one
      (or few) votes does nothing, if a listing receives enough votes in
      that category, it will be auto-classified as reported.
    * Prohibited and spam content will be taken down immediately when it
      gets enough votes
    * When content is flagged several times, the content owner will be
      notified by SL support team and may be penalized according to
      Community Standards <http://secondlife.com/corporate/cs.php>

*Anything else?*

    * Residents will be allowed to flag a particular search listing only
      once. You cannot change your vote, so flag with care
    * There will be a limit to how many times a day a Resident can flag
      search listings
    * Anonymous basic residents or residents whose accounts are less
      than x days old will not be able to flag content
    * Residents will still be able to report abusive content from
      inworld via the Abuse Reporting system under the Help menu
    * Of course, no system can be perfect, so if you think something was
      flagged in error, you can always file a support ticket for review

Thats it. We hope that this will make content flagging more effective
and will help the community better regulate what is appropriate and what
is not.

Please reply to this email with your thoughts and feedback on this
proposed design!

Cheers,
Jeska, Kalpana and the LL Search Team

--