[sldev] Google Summer of Code 2008 update

Anna Gulaev annagulaev at gmail.com
Fri May 2 12:46:01 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Thomas Grimshaw wrote:

> Eric M. Tulla (BigPapi Linden) wrote:
>
> > The only other real solution would be to manually define areas that are
> > indoors vs outdoors
> >
> Or at least provide some sort of facility to allow folk to specify how
> much the ambient lighting affects their texture..

I always thought it'd be a good half-solution to allow builders to define a
volume (a prim) as "indoor space". So, you'd place a few large prims inside
your building to roughly fill the space (including the interior wall
surfaces, but not the exterior), make them fully transparent, flag them as
"interior volume", and any surface that was fully within one of those
volumes would not receive sun/moon lighting or any local lighting that
originated outside the volume. Likewise, any local light sources within one
of these volumes would not effect any surfaces rendered outside. You'd
probably also have to define an ambient light level for each volume. And, to
avoid driving people nuts with camera goofiness, the volumes would be
ignored by mouse/camera controls except in edit mode.

But real shadows is even better.