[sldev] Your Feedback Wanted on Search Flagging !

Matthew Dowd matthew.dowd at hotmail.co.uk
Fri May 2 19:35:10 PDT 2008

Its the automatic guilty if voted by x residents which is the problem.

As noted, even with the various safeguards there is still scope for grieffing. However, it is mistaken votes which concern me.

When the child pornography issue flared up, there were quite a few people who though child avatars were banned (and ARed such), and others who reacted to child avatars in mature areas as if they were real children (forgetting that a pixel depiction of a child is not corruptible, and any avatar on the main grid should have an adult controlling it).

Likewise with the gambling ban there were even reports of Lindens deleting pay for free devices which weren't banned. Suppose I had a Los Vegas themed sim, but were all the slot machines, roulette wheels etc worked but didn't take or pay out money (i.e. more decorative). I could quite imagine that getting flagged quite often as prohibited.

Unfortunately there are probably enough people out there who would incorrectly flag parcels (either deliberately or through an honest or cultural misunderstanding), that if you set x high enough to avoid search entries being incorrectly removed, you've probably also set x too high for correctly flagged parcels to also be removed.

Matthew

Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 20:58:07 -0400From: gbrandon at gmail.comTo: sldev at lists.secondlife.comSubject: Re: [sldev] Your Feedback Wanted on Search Flagging !I think you've got the wrong idea with the "automatic" part.