[sldev] Thoughts regarding "OS X Panther support"

Ryan Williams (Which) rdw at lindenlab.com
Tue May 6 18:52:53 PDT 2008

Thomas Grimshaw wrote:
> Argent Stonecutter wrote:
>> On 2008-05-05, at 21:26, Alissa Sabre wrote:
>>> Isn't it possible to stop supporting pre-SP4 Windows 2000?
>>
>> Microsoft is making it increasingly difficult to download updates for
>> Windows 2000, including SP4.
> That's more a case of Microsoft dropping support for w2k which of course
> we can do nothing about, however I can't find anything which suggests
> it's not easy to download SP4.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1001AAF1-749F-49F4-8010-297BD6CA33A0&displaylang=en
>

> It doesn't even try to check if you have a genuine copy of windows,
> which most microsoft downloads do. But, in any case, even if they do
> remove the download..
>
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%22Index+of%22+%09W2KSP4_EN.EXE&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
>

> Can we get some demographics from LL outlining a) the number of w2k
> users, and b) the number of w2k SP4 users?

I'm not sure if I'm interpreting these numbers correctly, but we seem to
have this amount of usage of Win2K:

   Microsoft Windows 2000                                0.774%
   Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)    0.038%

My reading of this is that some special builds of Win2k report longer
version strings (Build 2195), but normally Win2k isn't differentiated by
service pack level.  Still, that's an approximation of the % of users
who run Win2K.

Similarly:
   OS X 10.3.9                                            0.236%
This is roughly 3% of OS X usage.

This data may be out of date and/or my crunching of the raw numbers may
be off, do not put data in mouth, etc etc.

-RYaN