[sldev] Google Summer of Code 2008 update

Matthew Underwood sakkaku at gmail.com
Thu May 8 10:21:03 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Lawson English <lenglish5 at cox.net> wrote:
> Matthew Underwood wrote:

>>> Well, please not XML-RPC, and while the current HUD browser (tutorial
>>> menu
>>> item in the RC) still probably isn't what you need, an interactive HUD
>>> browser that can handle flash or even SVG  (especially as found in the
>>> HUD
>>> inventory) would go a long way towards making your dreams come true.
>>>
>>> Lawson
>>>

>> While that would solve some issues, in the end that will be using
>> Email and/or XML-RPC so nothing is really solved.  In most cases that
>> would be actually slower then using an LSL object in world due to the
>> delay and increases the complexity immensely (some form of
>> authentication, user registration, tracking object/communication keys,
>> variables, etc).  While for simple items without dealing with the
>> actual object interaction that would be a major boon.
>>

> Well, no. The llMiniBrowserCreate  call will allow HUDs to display a webpage
> specified via the LSL call in the client's HUDbrowser window and receive
> feedback via a  chat channel. The current  tutorial is a non-interactive
> example of the interface in the client.
>
> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_Browser_HUD
>
> Lawson

Interesting, from the description I am assuming that the clicked links
will be passed back on the channel.  So you could parse the return and
decide whether to update the page, execute a command, etc.  I just
hope they don't make it one per agent, that could degrade into an ugly
competition between attachments.