[sldev] A patch to allow creation of megaprims from within theviewer

Dale Mahalko dmahalko at gmail.com
Thu May 15 06:18:32 PDT 2008

Able, after trying out your UI modifications, I am of the opinion that
it points the direction the viewer object editing UI should be going.

It does not make sense to construct extremely large primitives
directly in-world, since the editing process may disrupt and annoy
people surrounding your land as the large object swings and moves
around during the design and editing phase.

It would be much better for a new large primitive to be edited
client-side only, shown in-world but perhaps with a crawling marquee
edge (as for a selection in a paint program) to indicate it is a
local-only edit.

Then once the object has been moved, rotated, cut, and shaped, you hit
the "Commit" button and it is stamped into the world as a fully
completed object, with any warnings sent back by the server if the
object placement fails.

Also, it would be extremely useful to be able to specify exactly where
in world a new object or even an object pulled from inventory will
rez. It is amazingly frustrating for me to put an object assembly into
my inventory, and then pull it out and work on it later, because I
usually align the objects on a common dimensional edge, like 120.000 x
220.000 x 78.000 so I can use the world alignment grid...

After putting the objects away and pulling them out later, they always
end up on some random dimensional position like 121.536 x 225.731 x
77.057 and it is extremely hard to pick up the assembly and get it
precisely back where it was originally so I can continue work on it. I
would much rather drag an object into the world from my inventory and
have a UI window pop up that says "Where do you want this placed?" and
also "Place this back exactly where it was before?"

- Scalar Tardis / Dale Mahalko