[sldev] Re: Inventory Loss due to capped IM's

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Sat May 17 15:53:01 PDT 2008

Gordon Wendt wrote:

> Robin, a 3 way handshake on both IM's and inventory offers would be
> great but I'm just guessing that it would probably require a major if
> not complete rewrite of the instant messaging system both on the
> server and client sides which I don't see happening anytime soon.

It gets even more complicated (I suspect) due to the upcoming changes
where one logs into the Agent Domain instead of the simulator.

The AWG pointed out that login should not require a physical presence in
a sim in order to do IM/inventory management, so LL devised the
rez_avatar concept, that divides login into establishing credentials
phase, and a rez-on-to-sim phase.

I'm concerned that there may be a need sometimes for a third phase
between the two,  to establish a grid-specific presence before the
rez-avatar phase, which may further complicate matters, but you can see
that that the IM/inventory thing is possibly going to get more
complicated, even without looking at grid-specific issues.

Here's the preliminary rez_avatar part of login, cast into
semi-compatible OGP form:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Saijanai_Kuhn/Rez_Avatar_Capability

also see the even more preliminary TP procedure, where rez_avatar
becomes a special case:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SLGOGP_Teleport_Strawman

Lawson