[sldev] Call for requirements: ISO MPEG-V (mpeg for virtual worlds) Deadline: July 16, 2008

Yesha Sivan yesha at metaverse-labs.com
Sat May 24 01:32:07 PDT 2008

See full item including initial draft in my blog.
http://www.dryesha.com/2008/05/call-for-requirements-iso-mpeg-v-mpeg.html

My dear friend, J.H.A. (Jean) Gelissen from Philips continues to work on
MPEG-V. This is the major official (read: global) work on establishing
standards. Most of you are aware of my "push" for global standards (see Five
dimensions of standards<http://www.dryesha.com/2001/03/yeshas-harvard-nine-keys-to-knowledge.html>,
and the metaverse1 <http://www.metaverse1.org/> project)

I fear that the virtual worlds industry, will end up like the gaming
industry -- small islands that stifle large scale innovation. In contrast,
the internet model, with its defined stack, is a much better example to
arrive at the full 3D3C real virtual
world<http://www.dryesha.com/2008/04/paper-that-define-of-real-virtual.html>.
In any event, the call state:

**
INTERNATIONAL ORGANISATION FOR STANDARDIZATION
ORGANISATION INTERNATIONALE NORMALISATION ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 CODING OF
MOVING PICTURES AND AUDIO

**

**
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29/WG 11/N9903 Archamps, France, May 2008

**

*Title: MPEG-V Extended Call for Requirements*

*Source: Requirements*

*
MPEG, a working group in ISO/IEC, has produced many important standards
(MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, MPEG-7, and MPEG-21). MPEG feels that it is
important to standardize intermediate formats and protocols for "Information
exchange with Virtual Worlds", MPEG-V in the areas of "Interfaces between
virtual worlds" and "Interfaces between virtual worlds and the physical
world".

As stated in the w9424 "Information exchange with Virtual Worlds 'Context,
Objectives and Use Cases'" [1] the intended standard for 'Information
exchange with Virtual Worlds' will consist of at least three parts:

· Part1: Architecture

· Part2: Interfaces between virtual worlds

· Part3: Interfaces between virtual worlds and the physical world

--

Dr. Yesha Y. Sivan, http://www.dryesha.com; Connecting Real and Virtual
Worlds.