[sldev] Call for requirements: ISO MPEG-V (mpeg for virtual worlds) Deadline: July 16, 2008

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Sun May 25 14:45:20 PDT 2008

On 2008-05-25, at 15:32, Lawson English wrote:
> Sure, but MPEG-4 streams audio/video anyway, and I doubt that
> there's more data coming into SL than a streaming QT movie, MPEG-4
> or not.

Um, I'd think about that again if I were you. Steady state, maybe
not, but right after you rez? Bandwidth requirements in SL when
you're moving around from area to area and sim to sim are pretty high
these days. You can do credible videoconferencing (which has to use a
real time codec, not a super-efficient one) over ISDN. If you set
your SL bandwidth that low you're in a world of pain.

> Even so, I think the idea is that with an MPEG-5, you could stream
> it to whatever  MPEG-5 box you have, and use the "standard" codec
> for a virtual world

But then you wouldn't be encapsulating the game engine, which is what
I thought you were talking about. Now you're talking about a
standardized scheme that the SL environment could be mapped into,
which is what I was presenting as a more credible alternative.

>>> They could never figure out a use for VRML in MPEG-4 which is why
>>> no-one has used it in any major products.
>>

>> Apple uses QTVR, which is more or less the Quicktime equivalent,
>> for providing "hands on" views of objects and scenes.

> Yeah, but the interactivity is all client-side and the QTVR is a
> single image built from multiple perspectives that have been
> stitched into a fisheye view of a panoramic scene (or a rotating
> view of a single object/scene stitched into an inverse of that with
> the camera focus at the center of the object).

VRML is little more than that, and could have been used that way.

> Regardless, QTVR's intactivity is purely client-side so its not a
> good model for what a MPEG-xx codec would need to do.

I don't think we're really at the point where defining one will give
us anything more useful than VRML.