Where are the SL bottlenecks? (was Re: [sldev] branches/shadow-draft missing llrender.cpp)

Carsten Juttner carjay at gmx.net
Tue May 27 11:18:02 PDT 2008

Scott Squires wrote:
> I have an 8800GT, and have never seen > 35fps, and that is when starring
> out at the ocean.  In a regular scene with no avatars, it is typically <

One possible explanation that comes to mind is that maybe your refresh
rate is locked to the monitor's vertical sync.

If you set the monitor to run at 85 Hz you'd only ever receive as much
as 42.5 Hz if the highest "unlocked" frame rate would be around 60 Hz.

For NVidia cards you can decide if the application controls the vsync
setting or you can override the default in the Nvidia control center
(not sure where, currently don't have a Win-PC in front of me but it
should be easy to locate).

As for the application, the SL viewer has a debug setting called
"DisableVerticalSync" which - as you probably guessed - has to be set to
"TRUE".

Carsten