[sldev] Re: SL Target Audience

Opensource Obscure open at autistici.org
Fri May 30 08:28:15 PDT 2008

On Fri, 30 May 2008 09:15:02 -0500, "Matthew Underwood" <sakkaku at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 7:23 AM, Alissa Sabre <alissa_sabre at yahoo.co.jp>
> wrote:

>>> -  an acceptable frame rate
>>
>> I have no idea on this.  10fps?
>>
>>    Alissa Sabre

> 10FPS is unplayable, just try it for a few minutes and see if you
> don't pull your hair out.

I don't agree with Matthew here: I spent my first months in SL,
and began to love it, with performances that were in the 1-10 FPS
range. At that time, I called 'unplayable' <5FPS performances.

When I upgraded my video card, I started to get usually more
than 10FPS; then I upgraded the whole system, and now I get
50+ FPS sometimes, but I still would consider 'acceptable' 10-12 FPS.

This may depend on the fact I'm not a gamer so I'm not used
to higher-FPS 3D-environments. Lots of residents are/were
not gamers, though. Different players may have different
experiences with similar framerate, I'd say.

Opensource Obscure