[sldev] Freedesktop.org "games" list (Re: Improvements for the zugaina secondlife gentoo ebuild.)

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 02:52:50 PST 2008

Gareth Nelson wrote:
> One tiny point:
> Do we really want to encourage SL to be classified in the games
> category? I don't know about everyone else, but personally I get quite
> irritated by the description of SL as "just a game". This
> misunderstanding leads to stupidities such as newbies asking for "Free
> L$ cheat codes" etc.

No probably not, but as i said it my post just because its a games team
looking after the code in a distro that has NO bearing on were the
application will end up on a system or in a free desktop category.

The games teams on the distros are dealing with a wide variety of code
bases of often extremely complex applications, that share a lot of
common factors, opengl, openal, gstreamer etc.

Users and especially "the stupid newbies" will not even know that a
distro's games team had anything to do with it.

OpenAL is managed by the games team in Debian, is that a game suddenly?

Robin