[sldev] [IDEA] A new data structure for SL database servers

Ann Otoole missannotoole at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 2 07:59:52 PDT 2008

CAIDA has had Walrus out for years:

http://www.caida.org/tools/visualization/walrus/

Visualization:

http://www.caida.org/tools/visualization/walrus/gallery1/

I seriously doubt Secondlife data can be coerced into an directed graph structure at the moment. Perhaps parts.

Nor does a traversed graph structure lend itself to high performance.

However a true object model does lend itself well to a graph model and code can be diagnosed for defects rapidly when properly documented in a metadata repository and displayed using tools that can model relationships in a 3D representation. In fact I think it would do wonders for the future of Secondlife if the developers had the time and inclination to come up with a way to render code relationships inside of a Secondlife simulator so they could "fly through" and spot broken relationships and acyclic (recursive) references that lead to software failures.

Such a tool would certainly be "eating one's own dog food" and would likely lead to significant improvements over time in code reliability.

The problem would be the 15,000 primitive limit in the simulators.

Anyway I encourage the Lab's developers to have a look at the rich toolset that CAIDA makes available. Many many gems in that repository.