[sldev] Security Update 2008-10-06 to SL Viewers and source code

Henri Beauchamp sldev at free.fr
Tue Oct 7 13:54:44 PDT 2008

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 14:35:34 -0400, Mike Monkowski wrote:

> Soft,
>      That was my plan, but I had hoped to be able to run the branch as
> is to verify that my patch was correct.
>      My reading of the original notice on this security update was that
> even viewers that specified -channel would not work.  Is that correct?

No. LL never blocked third party viewers as long as they are using a
-channel (or --channel for v1.2x viewers) name which is different from
theirs. When a different channel name is used, no check is currently done
on the viewer version (in particular, there is no forced update).

The only thing that could prevent you from running an old viewer would
be changes in the messaging protocol with the servers... For example,
newer server versions could at some point blacklist a given protocol
for a given message, or old messages could become deprecated and no
more usable. But currently, you should be able to run any viewer
from v1.18 onwards. AFAIK, v1.17 and before are deprecated and
unusable with current servers.

Henri.