[sldev] cmake: "could not create named generator" with VS 2008 Express (v9)

Lear Cale lear.cale at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 04:44:54 PDT 2008

 I get the following when trying to run cmake to build the latest client
(21.6), for Windows.

BTW, the instructions in the wiki leave out a few things. At the very least,
you need python installed, which it doesn't cover. I installed cygwin,
including installing all development, and I added C:/cygwin/bin to my
Windows PATH directory. Cygwin includes Python, and it works fine with my
other Python scripts.

It also (now) neglects to mention that you need MS VS C++; that happened
thanks to the changes for cmake.  Once I get things working I'll be happy to
help fix the wiki.

This is a new machine; installing a development system for the first time on
it. I'm a software engineer, but I do all my pro work on Unix.

sh-3.2$ python develop.py -G VC90
Running 'cmake -G "Visual Studio 9 2008" -DUNATTENDED:BOOl=FALSE
-DSTANDALONE:BOOL=FALSE "" "c:\\BUILD\\SL\\linden\\indr
a"' in 'build-VC90'
CMake Error: Could not create named generator Visual Studio 9 2008

I get a similar error running it without arguments, or passing -G VC80.

If I run cmake from Programs menu, it fails to find Python, but I led it to
it. After that, it fails to find or unpack prebuilt ogg-vorbis. I had to
guess where to build the binaries, and probably guessed wrong, but I doubt
that's the cause.
Any clue what's going wrong and what to do to fix it?
Thanks Lear