[sldev] Linden Lab and unfair business practices

Russell Haverty russhaverty at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 28 16:48:29 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I'd like to let you all know that as of this moment, I will halt my work on
the second life client source code.

The reason is that I no longer wish to indirectly support Linden Lab; since
they seem to be repeatedly attacking the community, I feel it is no longer
appropriate for the community to support them.

If anyone is still in the dark about what i'm talking about, i'm referring
to the ludicrous pricing increase to openspace sims.  As of the 1st of
January 2008, you will now pay half the tier cost of a full sim, and in
return, receive less than a quarter of the resources.

We all know that linden lab are making an absolute killing on their virtual
real estate; this latest move can be seen as nothing more than greed.

I encourage anybody who is interested in this topic to first check out the
linden blog post at:
http://blog.secondlife.com/2008/10/27/openspace-pricing-and-policy-changes/

And also consider voting for the (very active) JIRA:
http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/MISC-1776

Thank you all for your time, and I apologise for the scarcely on-topic post.

Russell