[sldev] Sim Size Limits?

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 04:53:17 PDT 2008

On 2008-10-30, at 09:10, Douglas Soo wrote:
> - 32 bit floating point gets you around 7 decimal points of
> precisions - this means that once you hit a distance of about 256
> meters, you're looking at somewhere around millimeter to centimeter
> precision.

But you can build up to 4096 meters.

> - The larger the area of the region, the more objects we need to
> support in order to be able to maintain a reasonable density of
> content across an entire simulator node.  I think with the 512MB
> initial constraint on memory usage at the time that we started,
> this was probably a reasonable number.

The reason for this thread, really, is that there seems to be a
common feeling that SL is too crowded with objects, and the density
of objects is too high. Hence the demand for OpenSpaces even before
the prim increase.

> In any case, this is an incredibly difficult constant to change in
> the system - it would require lots of protocol changes, as well as
> a fairly major overhaul of the server side, so it's a somewhat moot
> discussion right now. :)

Regardless, if it's ever going to get changed, we need llGetRegionSize
() or equivalent.