[sldev] SLim (was Replacing current group chat with XMPP?)

Edward Artaud edward.artaud at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 13:46:35 PDT 2008

One question I'd ask is does the announcement of SLim and it's
mechanism for integration mean that it's not necessary for chat in the
future to use OGP?  My understanding is that the SLim integration is
connecting you to a separate IM network (the Vivox one) in parallel to
your connection to the grid.  It should be fairly simple to use this
same approach to connect to other IM networks such as Jabber/GTalk if
LL is now officially using this approach to open up IM.  The only
challenge would be that some sort of central SL name to (for example)
GTalk name database would need to be maintained.  If chat integration
can occur purely at the viewer level without all the attendent
headaches of going though the grid, then it would seem such work could
happen fairly quickly, which is undoubtedly why LL is now using this
approach with it's newly announced features.