[sldev] Question: Replacing current group chat with XMPP?

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Sat Sep 6 23:10:54 PDT 2008

Edward Artaud wrote:
> Clearly there's some change in roadmap implied by the introduction of
> SLim that these OGP plans aren't taking into consideration.

I don't think so. There's no reason to think that converting the IM part
of SLim to the AD/RD model would be any more difficult than converting
regular IM or any other current protocol in SL, and good reason to think
that the OGP version will be easier to implement than the current
version. Afterall, there's a relatively tiny number of Agent Domains
that will be involved as compared to the 20K+ sims that the protocols
have to deal with now. Even with the full implemnatation of the "scary
numbers" of a billion  accounts,  there will be no more Agent Domains
than there are second life simulators, ccurently (assuming 50K avatars
per AD). Not that any current design can scale that way, but even so,
the implementation for the near  future (5 years or so) shouldn't be
anything near as wonky as something  coordinating the IM from 20,000 sims.

Lawson