[sldev] Help compiling

Andromeda Quonset AndromedaQuonset at comcast.net
Sun Sep 7 20:54:50 PDT 2008

Greetings!

I do not have VS2003.  I have VS2002, VS2005, VS2008 Express.  The
one I am _comfortable_ with is VS6.0.

I have been attempting to compile the client.  What I seem to have
accomplished is created a mess.

I decided to use VS2005 as the best choice among the compilers I
have.  The client version I chose was 1.19.1
I am running under Windows XP SP2, 32-bit.
I have attempted to download all the myriad of files.  I found I
needed to upgrade VS2005 to SP1.  So, that's done.

At one point, under "Configuring for VS2005"
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Compiling_the_viewer_%28MSVS2005%29,
it says "To configure, go into linden\indra and run develop.py -G
VC80. This will create a build directory named build-VC80. "

I can safely say that there is no "develop.py" in "linden\indra" or
anywhere else in the system.  Nor can I find out where I might
download it from.  With that lacking, I've gone to
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Converting_project_files_for_MSVS2005
where I have done the conversion manually.

I have gotten from over 4,000 errors, to where I only have a few
errors.  Much of that was from the XML code that was pre-pended
inside of the openGL headers.  At the moment, I am stuck at "Link :
fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'dinput8.lib'

There are other errors that appear earlier, over 250 of them, but
since linking gets invoked, I don't know if they matter or not.

One other thing:  the wiki says I need to obtain and install
something called "Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Platform
SDK".  This is no longer available.  When you jump through all the
hoops to download it at the Microsoft site, what happens is you end
up on a download site for "Windows SDK for Windows Server 2008 and
.NET Framework 3.5".  I have gone ahead and downloaded this, however,
since it isn't the version specified, I have not installed it.  I
don't understand, anyway, why I would need this.  I'm not running a
Windows "server" OS of any flavor here.