[sldev] checking how the viewer gets Event info

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Mon Sep 8 08:18:40 PDT 2008

Robin Cornelius wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 2:08 PM, SignpostMarv Martin
> <me at signpostmarv.name> wrote:
>
>> Ambrosia wrote:
>>
>>> What kind of events are you referring to?
>>>

>> In-world events, as in the things people host and spamalot :-P
>>

> All the search code is pretty much self contained within
> newview/llpaneldirevents.cpp
>
> llpaneldirevents::performQuery() does the query
>
> The events are received into llpaneldirbrowser.cpp
>
> LLPanelDirBrowser::processDir****Reply()
>
> for the various events/people etc searches
>
> LLPanelDirEvents has LLPanelDirBrowser as a parent class as do each of
> the other search panels.

That is something I gotta start looking at for pyogp. Working on a
tentative design for a GUI module for it ATM.

One thing I think we want (I'm sure *I* want) is to keep the GUI
separate from the functionality. One of the GPL viewer's biggest
stumbling blocks for modifying the GUI is how intimately connected the
GUI is with the specific packets and functionality it deals with.
There's no abstraction between the primitive tk-level (think the GUI is
a TK port) widgets and the SL-specific widgets. No folder class save
inventory folders, for example. I'm guessing that there are no chat
panels that could accept a Jabber or IRC plugin input, eitehr, without a
LOT of extra work.

3D scenegraph display aside, I think pyogp would be ideal for helping
design the next generation GUI for the SL viewer, in case anyone wants
to throw in a few suggestions...

Lawson