[sldev] Re: SLDev Digest, Vol 21, Issue 22

Gordon Wendt GordonWendt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 19:35:44 PDT 2008

Note: Random Unsung == Prokofy Neva, this is publicly acknowledged by
Prok, I'm saying this only so that nobody gets confused when I refer
to Prok by that name and is not meant as a slight on her.</editorial
note>

Prok, I realize that in your mind I'm already beyond saving as far as
saving since I've gone to far to the side of the tyranny of the
techies as you have put it several times before but I don't see the
huge issue with this.

First of all I have yet to see anything by them saying that they want
to make it a mandatory viewer so I'd be interested to see quotes
and/or a reference for that statement.  Secondly  I don't see how this
is fundamentally different than any other fork, a great example of
this is the ESC's viewer which reskinned the entire viewer, removed
huge chunks of the old viewer and split in both old functionality in
new ways and brand new functionality... and those that have seen my
rants know how painful it is for me to actually praise ESC for
anything they've done but that's off the topic.  On the topic of the
office hours I don't know the details of how it was arranged but per
the above comments I'd agree that while it's unheard of in SL it's not
unprecedented in this type of general situation and I'm somewhat
surprised LL hasn't done this before and I hope they will open this up
to other people, actually expect if they don't want the appearance of
conflict of interest, but until they at least have a chance to clarify
the circumstances behind that I'm happy to be inquisitive instead of
accusatory.

<This is where Prok's mind numbing rant would be if I felt like giving
the reader's an even bigger headeache by quoting it>