[sldev] [SVC] Mono replaces LSL - Better Interoptibility?

Thordain Curtis thordain at thordain.com
Mon Sep 29 08:43:05 PDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Gordon Wendt <GordonWendt at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 4:50 AM, SignpostMarv Martin <me at signpostmarv.name
> > wrote:
>
>> Last I checked, the plan was to phase out XML-RPC in favour of plain old
>> HTTP.
>>
>> ~ Marv.
>>

> And yet it still isn't possible to authenticate to a server which I think
> is what many scripers have wanted to be able to do for quite some time to
> access secured resources in a secure manner and which has been summarily
> ignored by LL.
>
> -Gordon

> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SLDev
> privileges

llHTTPRequest does support HTTP Basic authentication provided you properly
format the URL you are requesting.  It's a less than documented feature, but
it does work if you need it.

Observe the difference between:
llHTTPRequest("http://thordain.com/authtest", [], "");
and
llHTTPRequest("http://authuser:password@thordain.com/authtest", [], "");

The first results in a HTTP 401 while the later works as intended.

That being said, even if llHTTPRequest did not support basic auth, that
would not necessarily preclude you from designing your own authentication
measures that operate within the features availible to you.