[sldev] AgentSetAppearance

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 08:51:39 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Thomas Grimshaw <tom at streamsense.net> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm doing some work with the protocol, and i'm attempting to populate an
> AgentSetAppearance packet, however i'm not sure where to get the data from.
>
> How does a client populate the AgentSetAppearance packet, when the
> visualparams are unknown to it (and not available in a local datastore)?
>
> Or, how do I request an AvatarAppearance packet to be sent?

I recommend having a peek at the libomv AppearanceManager.cs class, it
mostly works and does show the steps necessary to get an appearance
set in world. But the steps in brief are :-

Listen for a AgentWearablesUpdate, this contains assetIDs of current wearables

Download Wearable all assets, you need these for various param
settings and the textures later

Check the bake hashes on the simulator and decide if you need to bake
new nextures and upload the temporary assets or request cache bakes
only

Send Agent Is Now wearing, the list of currently worn wearables

Now send the AgentSetAppearance packet, you need to iterate the
current wearables to get certain parameters like shoe hight etc to set
all the visual params correctly and set the currently worn/baked
textures. This should then be enough info to sent the
AgentSetAppearance packe back.

* or something like this anyway

Hope this in some way helpful ;-p

Robin