[sldev] Philip's viewer; was: Tuesday Hippotropolis Meeting w/voice

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 13:56:15 PDT 2009

Mike Monkowski wrote:
> Very good meeting, but I still have questions about the process.
>
> One thing that was brought up was that code review is a good thing.  So
> make the code review the gatekeeper.  Nothing gets into Philip's branch
> unless it goes through a code review, which could be a regularly
> scheduled meeting on Hippotropolis (or elsewhere) or it could be called
> by Philip whenever he feels like it.  Anyone could comment on the code,
> but Philip would be the ultimate "go" or "no go" authority.

A possible idea is for one or more peers from either side of the
firewall to review and mark as signed off/sign there name to the fact
they are happy with the code.

This happens now routinely with in the Linux kernel, many patches you
will see added with multiple signed-off by lines by someone who has
reviewed the code and ITHO it is ok.

So maybe if someone has a patch then they can request a RFC on there
patch? sounds a bit formal but i hope you know what i mean.

> Before I spend my time coding, I might want to know whether it has a
> chance of making it into Philip's viewer.  Do we need a design review as
> well?

I think thats a good idea. Whats the scope of *this* change set that is
permitted, we need some kind of short term and ideally longer term road
map for this branch. May be at some point we have multiple branches of
this nature but they do need defining. We have the current working title
of http-texture, which clearly implements the http-texture fetching, bit
has also touched the map.

> That gets stuff in, but how does it get back out to trunk?  How often?
> Who does it?

Yea, part of the roadmap can be a merge to trunk "plan" whats the
victory conditions on this patch set? again this is down to the scope of
the current branch.

Regards

Robin