[sldev] Viewer documentation & doxygen

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 14:47:07 PDT 2009

As briefly mentioned in Phillips meeting, doxygen[1] is a nice code
documentation system. The viewer has previously had the doxygen
treatment by Dale Glass [2], but this is now over a year old.

I've created a new run of the doxygen reporting against http-texture [3]

For those of you not familiar, it parses the C/C++/H files and generates
class,namespace,file etc documentation based on there contents. Even
with raw files such as the secondlife viewer, useful documentation of
the classes functions is shown.

What is not clear from [2] & [3] is that doxygen also supports a simple
comment/mark up system for documenting the code. What this means is
comments can be added explaining API functions and interfaces through
out the code and this will be used when generating the html pages to
provide more thorough documentation, with clickable links directly to
the code and class references.

One of the advantages I can see is this can be a slow and ongoing
project, as code is re-factored and unit tests written comments can be
dropped around the APIs to document them. It does not all need to be
done at once and clearly this is something that could be chipped away at
with little extra overhead (as you would only add API docs when you were
digging in for re-factoring/unit testing/new coding).

[1] http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/
[2] http://doc.daleglass.net/index.html
[3] http://omvviewer.byteme.org.uk/http-texture/

Regards