[sldev] 1.21 change makes SL work better for enterprises

Dale Mahalko dmahalko at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 15:29:15 PDT 2009

Whoops, gmail locked up on me, and then this got posted twice before I
was done. The comments in the source say the change occurs at 1.23,
rather than 1.21

The problem with a totally custom centralized cache config like you
mention is the fact that it is custom. It would only work for my users
rather than being available to all business and education users of
roaming profiles and the Second Life viewer.

While I suppose I could hack up the client to do this only for me, the
likelihood of anyone else benefitting from the same network and client
performace gains is close to zero. Roaming is such an arcane issue as
it is, that I don't expect most administrators to know they should
implement this themselves manually..

A home user would never notice or care if the cache went into All
Users/Application Data, so centralized cross-user caching could apply
to home users without issue.

- Dale Mahalko / Scalar Tardis