[sldev] easybuild-2 plan

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 08:40:09 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:37 PM, Rob Lanphier <robla at lindenlab.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've had a few conversations with folks in addition to the discussion
> here about easybuild, and here's what I'm thinking:
>
> 1. Let's wait until the dust settles on the 1.23 merge that Merov is
> working on right now
> 2. When that's done, let's rebase easybuild on the http-texture branch,
> creating an easybuild-2 branch
> 3. Then, let's get a few of the suggested changes into easybuild-2
>
> That's assuming that we don't want to make this a guinea pig for the
> improved merge tracking features in Subversion 1.5, which we don't have
> a ton of experience with here at Linden Lab (thus our pathological urge
> to create numbered branches every time we rebase).

> Thoughts?

Yes lets get easybuild and http-texture merged, then we can work out
of a single branch as the easybuild work greatly effects my packaging
building and is only of benefit to builders of the viewer from source
code it makes lots of sense to get this in the open-source branch .
The easybuild stuff *should* be pretty isolated from any code changes
within the viewer as its only affecting build rules/scripts so the
conflict potential should be minimal there.

something we need to be careful of here is some of the planed changes
are being done to cmake itsself so this would bump the minimum cmake
version and we probably don't want to all have to suddenly upgraded
that on this cycle. This would make sense for the easybuild-2 or
greater branch. But nothing that has gone in to easybuild so far has
required such a cmake version bump.

Robin