[sldev] Vivox and Kakadu licensing issues.

Boy Lane boy.lane at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 24 20:12:18 PDT 2009

Hi Gigs/Jason :)

This doesn't really make sense as both are dynamically linked and not
required to run the client.

The issue in question was the following posting of the person claiming he
has the right to distribute KDU/Vivox (I don't mention names but you
probably know who it is ;)):

"http://www.kakadusoftware.com/Downloads.html

read :Copyright is owned by NewSouth Innovations Proprietary Ltd, commercial
arm of the University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia. You are free to
play around with these executables and even to re-distribute them, so long
as such use or re-distribution is accompanied this copyright notice and is
not for commercial gain. Note: Binaries can only be used for non-commercial
purposes. If in doubt please contact Dr. Taubman.

and voice....

* The Vovida Software License, Version 1.0
*
* Copyright (c) 2000 Vovida Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.
*
* are met:
*
* notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
*
* notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
* the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
* distribution."

We would really need someone from LL to shed some light on this because
either
a) that "person" is distributing software components unlicensed or
b) 3rd party builds may include those components legallay ok.

Boy