[sldev] Vivox and Kakadu licensing issues.

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 00:42:35 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Ambrosia <chaosstar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Quicktime support is no problem, as it checks against an installed
> Quicktime on the system.

Be a little careful of quicktime, on Macs its part of the operating
system/standard distribution so linking against is fine under the GPL,
on windows its certainly not part of the operating system so your in
danger of GPL issues here right away on on mac platforms.

> The fonts can be easily exchanged by ones under a more open license
> like Creative Commons. This already has been done in some 3rd party
> viewers, and they look excellent. I personally suggest to push for
> that change in the official client as well..it will save some hassle
> overall.

+1 Fonts can be easily solved this way, although LL has expressed in
the past a desire to stick to the current fonts because of branding
reasons, a common look at people are use to and expect.

> Art assets..I don't know. Maybe, with the exception of the SL logo, a
> push to get those under the Creative Commons could be achieved.

the artwork files are already under the CC-SA-3.0, they were under the
CC-SA-2.5 which is not considered free by some people. But yea watch
out for the images that also have a trademark. Probably at some point
LL could stop exporting the trademarked images and use a replacement
so ALL 3rd party builds will either use the new default free images or
have to supply there own for their own skinning. I think this was
breifly discussed for http-texure.

Robin