[sldev] http-texture project - how far until complete? (this will totally Rawk SL!)

Philippe Bossut (Merov Linden) merov at lindenlab.com
Thu Apr 30 10:55:23 PDT 2009

Hi Fire,

On Apr 30, 2009, at 10:01 AM, Fire wrote:
> The http-texture project sounds fascinating!  If every texture in SL
> could actually be fed in via http - that would rock the SL world,
> especially for educators.

That's definitely the idea but we have to get our act together wrt
issues like security, privacy and right management before we push this
willy-nilly. But yes, eventually, residents will be able to point to
content outside the SL asset server. Can't tell you when though
(because I don't know, not holding anything :) )

> Just wondering how far off the http-texture branch is to being fully
> functional.

Currently, http-texture is about making experiment with the technical
aspects of this (caching, fetching, etc...). Right now, if you
download one of the http-texture builds (get them at: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Open_Source_Portal)
, you can experience the http texture niceties and speed (and
crashers...) using the map: open the Map and browse around the grid.
Note that you can now zoom out and in really far and see a map under a
reasonable time. We think it's better that way but let us know what
you think :)

Cheers,
- Merov