[sldev] VWR-10311 Enabling lip sync by default

JB Kraft kwerks.sl at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 17:16:40 PDT 2009

Quite right. To explain myself, I think the viewer is getting too bloated
for the "average" machine and offered plugins as a way to possibly mitigate
that bloat as well as allow for expansion in other ways unforeseen. What I
am really getting at is the very same thing you are speaking to here with
the headless viewer for example. One way to do that would be to have a
plugin for the GL renderer that does nothing. One could even make an ascii
renderer a la ascii quake ;) The script editor is another excellent
candidate for a plugin style framework, imho.

Ultimately the goal is, I think, to move toward decoupling the various
sub-systems and from the sounds of it, the Lab is trying to move toward that
as well. How exactly that is done is another matter and given the current
codebase, I appeciate somewhat the problems inherent. I threw plugins in as
simply one possible direction to help manage the inevitable bloat that long
lived code bases, driven by enthusiastic coders, accumulates. I picked on
voice and windlight simply because for me, those are things I am personally
not interested in. No offense intended, nor did I mean to speak directly to
the technical issues involved in "plugifying" those particular things :)

cheers!
JB