[sldev] How to solve this bug?

Sheet Spotter sheet.spotter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 06:33:27 PDT 2009

There may be two issues to consider before revising the implementation for
sound.

Firstly, stopping sound sources might have an undesirable side effect when
moving your camera. In the worst case, moving your camera in and out might
make the scene sound like rap music, constantly stopping and restarting the
sound. Playing the sound with a gain of zero ensures that sounds continue to
play while the camera is out of range.

Secondly, the llPreloadSound scripting function is used to ensure that any
clients within range have performed any necessary setup and initialization
that allows the sound to be triggered later without delay. This operation
might rely on playing the sound with zero gain.

Do these issues constitute two requirements that any revised implementation
should satisfy?
1. Sounds that fall out of range should continue playing (i.e., not restart
when they fall back into range).
2. Sounds sent to the viewer by llPreloadSound should be triggered without
delay.

Sheet Spotter