[sldev] [VWR] VWR-489 Multiple Attachments per Attachment Point.

Obsidian Kindragon Kindragon at comcast.net
Wed Aug 12 16:42:23 PDT 2009

"1) LSL Scripting allows manipulation of attachments, and for
attachments to continue to work properly, changes would need to be made
to server code to handle the multiple attachments."

Actually, this is one of the neat parts you can see from the link. The
only code that needed to be changed was in the one file. There are new
constants declared that can be called from the client, as it's jsut a
reference number for attachment point.

"2) More attachments will impact the 'silicon footprint' of avatars  (it
could be that LL is still pondering the impact of this change to
performance of both server code and client)."

Well I guess the question is, is having a "furry paw", a "glove", and
then a "sword" attached to the same spot more expensive than having
those three items linked together and then worn on the attachment point?
Possibly, because it'd require three calls to the asset server to
recover the attachments. But does that outweight the usefulness and
simplification of allowing a user to be able to just take off the
"sword", "glove", or "furry paw" independent of the other objects?

We did see mention that this is already included in the RestrainedLife
viewer and no averse issues have been encountered so far, and I've yet
to see any averse issues after installing the mod on my end.

- Obsidian Stormwind