[sldev] [VWR] VWR-489 Multiple Attachments per Attachment Point.

Emily emily at charmageddon.org
Fri Aug 14 07:13:27 PDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 2:10 AM, Dale Mahalko <dmahalko at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Carlo Wood<carlo at alinoe.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 02:40:38PM +0200, Marine Kelley wrote:
> >> Actually many people need more objects on more attach points, so a
> >> limit of 30 objects would be a bit low. And as the viewers are able to
> >
> > Instead of limitting the number of attachments (or points),
> > the limit should be set on the total number of prims attached,
> > and that limit should be set *high*, so that under no circumstances
> > users will run into it until they try to abuse it for griefing.
>

> Actually the attachment limit should probably be more granular than
> the number of prims, going all the way down to the number of triangles
> per face of the prims being attached.
>
> So set the limit at (random example) 40,000 triangles per avatar at
> any one time. You may wear any number of attachments and prim linksets
> up to 40,000 triangles, but once you hit that limit, the server
> prevents any further attachments.
>
> This would also provide defense against "griefer attachments" such
> that sure, you can wear one ultra-detail attachment if you like, but
> that is going to limit what else you can attach to your avatar, and
> you certainly can't wear 30 ultra-detail attachments at once.
>
> If this were implemented, on login to the world, the sim would check
> the attachments on avatars and force detachment of objects until the
> avatar is under the set 40,000 triangle limit, and inform the user
> what has occurred.
>
> This could become a server adjustable limit that estate owners can
> specify. "To attend this concert you may only have 5,000 triangles
> across all attachments to assure good sim speed for everyone, or you
> will be denied teleport access."
>
> And there would need to be a "triangle readout" somewhere, to help
> people manage triangles in use, such as an info item in the avatar
> profile.
>
> Doing this would generally help people to become more directly aware
> of the "weight" of various types of prims and how it affects simulator
> and rendering performance.

This request for a 1 day change is only up to 2-3 months of work.
Wearing both collar and a scarf is easily worth a multi year
investment. Surely we aren't trying hard enough. Script count and duty
load? Embedded asset counts? Texture sizes and cache hit probability?
Triangle batchability? Occlusion ratio from same foot plane?