[sldev] SnowGlobe and copybots

nyx linden nyx at lindenlab.com
Mon Aug 31 10:52:35 PDT 2009

    Additionally, the technique to stop malicious clients from stealing
your clothing textures (namely, only sending out baked but not local
texture data) will be in the main client in the next major release, as
part of a larger avatar overhaul. The reasons for this extend beyond
content theft, but stopping this is a major benefit to this switch in
protocol.

    Combating griefing attacks and content theft is not an easy task,
but we are taking steps to minimize the potential for abuse, and we try
to have systems in place for what to do when it does occur (including
dealing with the specific instance of abuse as well as looking for ways
to prevent future issues). We're always looking for ways of making the
client secure, and welcome feedback and ideas to help us move in this
direction.

 -Nyx