[sldev] Snowglobe on OpenSim grids

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 13:35:59 PST 2009

I believe in OpenSim the map and map images are proxied through the
simulator via a combination of Caps and UDP messages. I haven't looked too
closely at the implementation details for the map images but I believe they
use the normal texture pathways (UDP ImageRequest and ImageResponse
packets). As far as I know the simulator is also the proxy for all map
information on the Linden grids when the standard viewer is used.

I would suggest that the easiest way to get a working map for OpenSim would
be to enable the older map. The current SL viewer has a functional map when
used with OpenSim, as far as I'm aware Snowglobe is the only viewer where
the map will not work in OpenSim.

I might also suggest that Snowglobe acquire the map images URL via a
capability, rather than hard coding it. I suspect if this were the case that
a similar map images capability would appear in OpenSim soon after. Adding
such a capability would seem beneficial to LL as well since then there would
be no need to constantly maintain a URL and it could be changed as needed
without requiring a new viewer download.