[sldev] Snowglobe on OpenSim grids

Frisby, Adam adam at deepthink.com.au
Fri Dec 4 15:31:37 PST 2009

As another OpenSim core developer - may I make the suggestion that this is being done completely the wrong way?

The map tiles are still fairly standard textures (although I know the new routine uses JPG over J2K -- but the viewer in theory supports JPG textures in the standard pipeline too) - why add the extra methods, when you could just inline this over the new HTTP textures system?

I realise the reason LL switched to S3 here was probably related to CDN distribution; however that may be better served as a generalised solution on the backend - using something like a 302 redirect on the capability over to S3 on popular asset IDs (world map images & other 'common' textures).

Regards,

Adam