[sldev] Snowglobe 1.3 patches waiting for your love

Philippe (Merov) Bossut merov at lindenlab.com
Thu Dec 10 13:59:25 PST 2009

Hi Aleric,

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 8:03 AM, Aleric Inglewood <
aleric.inglewood at gmail.com> wrote:

> Seems you broke compilation Philippe:
>
> >svn diff -r3047:3048 indra/media_plugins/webkit/media_plugin_webkit.cpp |
> grep EKeyboardModifier
> (standard input):219:+  LLQtWebKit::EKeyboardModifier
> decodeModifiers(std::string &modifiers)
>
> indra/media_plugins/webkit/media_plugin_webkit.cpp:406: error:
> ‘EKeyboardModifier’ in class ‘LLQtWebKit’ does not name a type
>
> What is going on here?
> You have something that the rest of the open source coder don't?
> If so, then wouldn't it be nice to communicate that on this list?

I suppose you meant that I broke the standalone builds as the parabuild
servers and my own machines do build just fine. But your point is well
taken: that llqtwebkit lib should be build-able from an up-to-date repo
somewhere. I have to confess I do not build it myself so that's something
I'll have to dig through.

> You also STILL didn't answer this question (third time I ask):
> Is there anyone on this list (from LL, so I'm asking you) who can decide
> to change the server code / protocol?

First, about me, I do not do server side coding and am not involved in
protocol evolution. There are plenty of Lindens though lurking on sldev and
quite a few of them do work on server side code. That being said, no one
changes the protocol willy nilly so it's not like anyone could point you to
"xyz Linden" being "the one" making protocol changes. A lot of
considerations come into play wrt protocol changes: support, backward
compatibility, security, deployment just to name a few. IOW, your question
cannot be answered simply which is certainly why no one answered it so far.

What would be more productive though is to know which improvements you think
would need protocol or server side changes and bring those issues into a
discussion. I'm sure that if such a discussion was to start, the relevant
Linden would jump in and comment as Josh did recently for instance on server
cap on the map thread. Would that work with you?

Cheers,
- Merov