[sldev] Script/Parcel/Memory Limits

Marine Kelley marinekelley at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 07:34:41 PST 2009

Although all neat and certainly very clever, would this kind of
solution still satisfy my primary need as a scripter ?I.e. being
CERTAIN that my scripts will NEVER crash because of memory shortage
due to reasons that are out of my control ? I could write the best
script in the world that takes a constant amount of memory, it would
still crash eventually if this amount suddenly became higher than the
limit, if this limit moves down when the sim becomes busier.

The script could freeze, slow down, we could have functions and events
to stay aware of how many bytes we have left, but to me the core issue
is that scripts which run out of memory simply endure an unrecoverable
crash. This basic behavior is very wrong in the first place and must
be revised.

Yes I do know this is asking a lot. I do not even expect this to
change any time soon, but in the meantime PLEASE don't add one more
level of uncertainty when it comes to scripting. I want to know how
many bytes I have left, and I want total control over what consumes
them.

Leave the limits fixed !

Marine