[sldev] Script/Parcel/Memory Limits - Memory Limit Configuration

Tigro Spottystripes tigrospottystripes at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 10:08:03 PST 2009

This would be a mostly ideal solution since no script would stop
working, and scripts that currently lag everything (either due to the
scripter coding it to use lots of memory, or due to people placing more
scripts in the parcel than the RAM quota of the parcel) would only lag
each other, and when memory is freed scripts would once again be
promoted back to fast mode.

Ideally scripts by parcel owner would have priority over scripts from
visitors in regards to RAM usage.

If the parcels in the rest of the sim aren't needing the memory, more
RAM is avaiable to the parcel at the moment, and more scripts in that
parcel can be using RAM, same thing with avatars.

If scripts on an avatar are using more memory than is avaiable on the
sim, beyond the maximum guaranteed per avatar, some of the scripts will
be downgraded to slowmode, like with parcel scripts, the scripts that
use more memory and the scripts that came in last  after the maximum
guaranteed has been used up get downgraded first. If someone wants to
have all the scripts on their avatar never be downgraded, they should
make sure they never get past the maximum guaranteed RAM quota per
avatar. But there won't be need to worry about scripts crashing or
objects de-rezzing due to lack of memory.

Both scripts and users hsould be capable of checking how much memory is
avvaiable int he sim, int he parcel,a nd for their own avatar, and the
maximum guaranteed for parcels and sims would just be dependent on some
simple value, like maximum allowed primcount, a value that would usually
be static inmost places, but not fixed since in some places people can
use more prims than in other places (opem space sims, parcels with prim
bonus etc), the maximum per avatar would depend on sim type and the
maximum number of avs in the sim. Ideally all the info woud be easy for
both scritps and users to find,  though even though it is less ideal, it
would still be reasonably acceptable if the general guidelines to
calculating the value were made avaiable instead of the actual values in
each situation.