[sldev] Bidding System Algorithm for Allocation Script Memory

David Simmons techiedavid at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 10:52:01 PST 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 5:07 AM, Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com> wrote:

> The whole "resource / payment / number of prims" as function of land
> area is nonsense to begin with.
>
> Virtual land area costs NOTHING whatsoever. The reason that LL lets
> you pay for land is because that system brings them more money
> than when land would be free and you have to pay only for prims.
>
> Virtual land do have real costs!. There are electrical costs, actual
servers and physical san that cost money, support cost. As far as I know,
Linden do not get free network connection to the internet. An Linden
employees don't work for free.

> THAT would have been an honest system however: let everyone have
> their own private tropical island (which costs nada), and only
> let them pay for the actual resources (memory and cpu time) that
> they use.
>
> A cloud computing fee structure would be nice, but the current OS will have
to be rewritten. Right now, a sim takes alot of resources even if noones
visit it for months. In SL a tree falling in a forest and no one is around
does make a sound.