[sldev] novice question

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 12:49:07 PST 2009

David Smith wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am new to programming and attempting to do my first SL viewer build on
> Mac OS X. I am following the instructions on the page 'Compiling the
> viewer' at:
> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Compiling_the_viewer_(Mac_OS_X)
> <http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Compiling_the_viewer_%28Mac_OS_X%29>
> I need a clearer description for the proper file directory set-up. I
> have downloaded the source code, libraries, artwork, and FMod.
> Basically, I need to know what goes where.

Well the 3 zip/tarballs just get unpacked on top of each other, they all
contain a linden/ base folder and these all should be overlayed.

Fmod needs to be handled differently still. The dynlib needs to be
placed in linden/libraries/darwin?/Release/ and Debug/ and the fmod.h in
linden/libraries/darwin?/Include ... where "darwin?" is the name of the
arch folder that will get created (but i'm not 100% sure what) AFTER
first running develop.py, a little confusing yes i know. There is a JIRA
patch that allows develop.py to accept an external location for fmod so
that this last stage of dancing the files around is not necessary. So i
guess you need to run develop.py configure, let the libs download add
the fmod.h and dynlib to the other libs and run it again to ensure fmod
is used for a sound system.

After that if you have cmake and python on your system you should be
able to just go to linden/indra and run the python script develop.py
with the configure option and it will start to download the rest of the
lib deps you need or shout about what is wrong.

Hope that helps and has not just confused you more ;-p

Robin